336B Agricultural Hall
1450 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706
Education: University of Chicago. B.A. Sociology 1967. University of Wisconsin-Madison. M.A. Sociology 1969. Ph.D. Sociology 1971. Advisor Shalom Schwartz. Dissertation Title: Moral Norms, Threatened Sanctions and Littering Behavior
Publications on Sweden:
- BOOK PROPOSAL: Smorgasbook-What an American Can Learn by Living in Sweden
- Heberlein, Thomas A. 2020. “Not fluent but not dead either.” Nordstjernan – The Swedish Newspaper of America #6. pp. 8-13
- Heberlein, Thomas A. “6 Things You Need to Know to Survive a Nobel Prize Banquet” Fodors.com/news December 6, 2017 https://www.fodors.com/news/author/thomas-heberlein.
- Heberlein, Thomas A. 2017. Sweden is safe (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel) Letters to the Editor, March 5.
- Heberlein, Thomas A. 2017. Nobel Prizes show strength of US universities (WI State Journal) Letters to the Editor, January 3.
- Heberlein, Thomas A. 2016. “Sweden may have the answer to America’s gun problem.” Vox. August 8, 2016. http://www.vox.com/2016/8/8/12351824/gun-control-sweden-solution
- Grauers, Karl. “Amerikanen som förälskade sig i svenska skatter.” Trans: The American who fell in love with Swedish Taxes. In Dagens Etc. May 2016
- Heberlein, Thomas A. 2016. “I’m an American living in Sweden. Here’s why I came to embrace the higher taxes.” Vox. First Person. April 8, 2016. http://www.vox.com/2016/4/8/11380356/swedish-taxes-love
- Heberlein, Thomas A. 2016. “Low Taxes? We get just what we pay for.” The Capital Times March 19, 2016. http://host.madison.com/ct/opinion/column/tom-heberlein-low-taxes-we-get-just-what-we-pay/article_edafbda2-b379-5afc-8836-a482b4312b42.html
- Heberlein, Thomas A. 2016. “Sex skäl att älska svenska skatter.” Arbetet. May 5, 2016. http://arbetet.se/2016/05/05/sex-skal-att-alska-svenska-skatter
- Heberlein, Thomas A. 2000. “The Gun, The Dog and the Thermos: Culture and Hunting in Sweden and the United States.” Sweden and America. 13: 24-29.
- Heberlein, Thomas A. 2005. Wildlife Caretaking vs. Wildlife Management: A Short Lesson in Swedish. The Wildlife Society Bulletin, Volume 33, Number 1, pp 378-380.
- Heberlein, Thomas A., Peter Fredman and Tuomas Vuorio. 2002. “Current Tourism Patterns in the Swedish Mountains.” Journal of Mountain Research. 22: 142-149.
Selected Publications on Wolves:
- Williams, Christopher K., Göran Ericsson and Thomas A. Heberlein. 2002. “A Quantitative Summary of Attitudes Toward Wolves and Their Reintroduction.” Wildlife Society Bulletin. 30: 575-584
- Ericsson, Göran, and Thomas A Heberlein. 2003. “Attitudes of Hunters, Locals and the General Public in Sweden Now That the Wolves Are Back. “ Biological Conservation. 111: 149-159.
- Heberlein, Thomas A. and Göran Ericsson. 2008. “Public Attitudes and the Future of Wolves in Sweden.” Wildlife Biology. 14: 391-394.
- Heberlein: Yes to WI Wolf Hunt (WI State Journal Article), 2008 [10.9 mb pdf]
- Navigating Environmental Attitudes, Oxford University Press, August 2012 [211 kb pdf]
Publication of Enduring Quality Award. Association of Environmental and Resource Economists (1999)
Award of Merit. Natural Resources Research Group of the Rural Sociological Society (2001)
Lifelong Achievement Award. Friends of Scenic Lodi Valley (2008)
Excellence in Research Award. Rural Sociological Society (2009)