Faculty, students, and staff in the University of Wisconsin’s Department of Community and Environmental Sociology are concerned with a wide array of issues from environmental degradation and globalization to sustainability and local food systems. The faculty is made up of an interdisciplinary group trained in fields ranging from sociology to science and technology studies and environmental studies. We are an engaged group whose work, while theoretically informed, is often directed at intervening in and affecting real-life situations. Our graduate program is equally dynamic and is offered jointly with the UW’s Department of Sociology.
The issues discussed in Community and Environmental Sociology classes can also be applied outside of the classroom. In the video below, alumni, students, and faculty from the department discuss their passions and how the major has helped them make a difference.
The Undergraduate Program connects students with globally esteemed faculty, a wide range of intimate and interactive courses, and a tight-knit community of scholars passionate about understanding and developing solutions to our social and environmental problems. C&E Soc also offers a certificate in Food Systems open to any major.
The Department of Sociology and the Department of Community & Environmental Sociology jointly conduct the graduate program.
Research is an integral part of studying people and the environment and C&E Soc students are encouraged to pursue their research interests. Students may join the existing labs supported by the department or conduct independent research through the guidance of faculty.
LEARN HOW YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!
Engage in hands-on and brain-on learning!
C&E Soc News & Events
- UW Agroecology Symposium on April 12th, in the Great Hall, on “Relationships for Change”Check out this Agroecology Symposium co-sponsored by C&E Soc!
- Dr. Annie Jones Named One of the Most Influential Native American Leaders in 2023Dr. Annie Jones, an enrolled member of the Menominee Nation, is a professor, organization development and Tribal Nations specialist with UW-Madison’s Division of Extension. She is […]
- Summer Enrollment Begins April 4th and C&E Soc is Offering Several Courses!Check Course Search & Enroll for more information about Pre-Requisites and who will teach the class!
- Through his adventures in sailing, Andrew O. Jackson takes us on a photographic journey into the psychology of sailing on […]
- Join WUD Global Connections Committee for our weekly general body meetings! We have discussions, activities, and more, all culturally and […]
- This meeting offers support and connection for students who care about a person experiencing or in recovery from a substance […]